Sunday, May 13, 2007

happy mother's day!


When i think of a mother's love, i think of how my mom is with my little sister. It is one that is very protective, often overbearing, and sometimes very angry; Yet, somehow amidst all that, always, there is this underlying tenderness that is still all-consuming and enduring through it all.

I wasn't really thinking of this when i set up to take this picture but appropriately, the vase is made by my sister Monna! And the pomelo (the biggest fruit in the grapefruit family) was given either by my mom or my aunt because they know how i love pomelos. I ate it and kept the skin to dry and amazingly, it turned into a flower!

Take a closer look at the vase -
[click on it for a bigger image]

Isn't this such a lovely little vase? It's like only 2" high and 1.5" fat.
Monna made it when she was in high school. It's one of my favorite things in the world. I could just imagine her chubby little fingers trying delicately to shape the clay into this precious little thing. And the color, how it fades at the bottom, not quite covering it all evenly, is perfect.

2 comments

  1. Wow, that is one tiny vase! Now that I know its measurements, the huge pomelo skin doesn't look so huge now, but it is kewl how u can't tell the size of either one unless u ask! Nice composition, Mieny.

    ReplyDelete