Sunday, December 5, 2010

happy mess


Gosh where to begin...much has happened these past few months. My little uncle's baby was just born a couple of weeks ago. She is the sweetest thing, so tiny and precious in my arms. She also got these oddly long but very cute finger toes. I can't wait to see you again, little Tienna!

What else? Ba is not grumpy with me anymore, happy that John is officially family now. The other day Ting and Francis bonded over being the black sheep of the family. Ma and me able to talk things out no matter what. Sadly, not always the case with some friends though...

But oh yay! i got to meet Marjojo (Marion Michell) for the very first time in person when John and i took a trip to London this past September. So lucky in this lifetime i can get to know and be friends with my favorite artist in the world. Speaking of world, I want the whole world to know that Tate Modern Museum following our visit to Marion Michell's studio was such a disappointment. There was nothing i could remember that was remotely comparable to Marjojo's work. Seriously.

Coming back from the experience in London, i feel transformed, aware of myself changing and growing as a person, and in particularly as an artist. It's a feeling that makes you breathe deeper, stand taller, and unafraid to seek what you want. Thank you, David & Erica, for being there so we could make this trip.


Some studio updates: completed a new series of spoons, making progress with a couple of paintings, still wrapping those broken pieces of eggshell, and dipping all sorts of things in hot beeswax.

I am really loving how the dried fruits and leaves turned out after being covered in waxed. They seemed better protected now from the elements of decaying without being changed too much at all.


art art art

14 comments

  1. Hooray, hooray. You are back !!! Have to go and wake kids, drink green tea and iron crumpled trousers, will write more soon. Be well! So happy to see your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, you're back!! Cool that you got to meet Marjojo in person! I can't wait 2 c what else you post. My sewing machine is fixed, I can't wait to sew sew sew!! I'm collecting lotsa ideas tonight. ^ . ^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the string EVERYWHERE:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps-you're probably one of the few artists I know who would unequivocally denounce (to put it nicely) an entire museum:p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, I'm happy that you are back and can't wait to see more of your work...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Mien, you Noodle King!! Wow I just found out from reading your blog... congrats!!! :) Sounds like all is going well over there with you! As for me, this month I am moving from Taiwan to Hong Kong finally. Good to be back...

    ReplyDelete
  7. so happy to see you guys here. :D. i'm glad to be back. hope to catch up more with everyone and be back in touch with my favorite blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you're back and learned a lot ;)
    So I can't wait what you're next steps are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Mien, my cup runneth over!
    I'd love to wonder through your studio, take things in my hands, inspect them, put my nose to them. Everything feels light and lovely and warm, body-temperature warm, and that sweet beeswax-scent will hang in the air. There is emotional weight though, and that's how it should be. So good to hear you speak with self-confidence about being a (wonderful) artist. Yes you are! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All my cups, mugs, goblets, tumblers, pans and pots...

    ReplyDelete
  11. mien! your visit makes me happy.
    your comments mean A LOT to me, thank you very much! i am so deeply impressed by your unique work, words and thoughts. glad that i found you. julia

    ReplyDelete
  12. i kept checking and so glad you're back in cyber world!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always love your pieces so~~much!!
    Happy new year 2011!
    Celine from Taiwan

    ReplyDelete